On Sunday 26th April 2015 I completed the London Marathon. Granted it took me a bloody long time to get to the finish line (6:59:22), but...


On Sunday 26th April 2015 I completed the London Marathon.

Granted it took me a bloody long time to get to the finish line (6:59:22), but the most important thing is that I got there, and I received my medal.

To say I was nervous on the day would be a little bit of an understatement.
I tried to stay relaxed and calm on the way in to London, but it wasn't an easy task, especially as there were train delays which made me late.

Once my main train arrived at London St Pancras I had to leave Daddy D, CJ, Boo and Roo, and make a mad dash to the underground trains to try and make it to the start line on time.

I arrived at the start at 10:10, just as the runners were starting to walk towards the start line, and I literally had just enough time to dump my kit bag in to the back of a lorry and then make an even quicker toilet stop, before joining the masses as they progressed towards the start.

I started strong and managed to run the first 5 miles without stopping and made general chit-chat with other runners as we passed each other by (I talk a lot when I am nervous).
Then, at mile 5, I decided to have my first walking session.

That is when I met Tracey.

Tracey was running as part of 'The Fat Girl's Guide To Running' team, and we hit it off straight away.
We are both at the same 'level' with our running, and after chatting for a little while we decided to stick together for the rest of the race.

I have never been more grateful to have the company of another person, and I can honestly say I would not have completed the marathon without her.

I hit a wall at around mile 15, and struggled with my own thoughts which were telling me that I couldn't do this. 
That I should give up.  
But Tracey was having none of it.  
She kept me talking, and lifted my spirits, until I had managed to smash my way through the invisible barrier that was trying to stop me.

And, when she hit her own barrier, I did the same for her.

At mile 20 I felt a rather disturbing 'popping' sensation in between my toes, which I later realised was the sensation of blisters forming.

They were extremely painful, but I was determined that I wasn't going to give up and hobbled my way through the last 6 miles, with Tracey spurring me on all the way, even though she was having problems with her knee and was in agony herself.

We kept on going, and we finished 'hand in hand' after almost 7 hours of running and walking.

Unfortunately we got separated at the finish line as the pain in Tracey's knee became unbearable and she had to be taken for medical treatment.

But, thanks to the power of social media, she was able to track me down the following day and let me know that she was okay.

I am so happy to have met such a wonderful person, and it has made my marathon experience an even more memorable one because not only did I finish and receive my medal, I gained a new friend as well.

I'm almost embarrassed when people ask me what my finish time was, but then I think 'sod it'! 
Why should I be embarrassed? 
I got up, I got out there, and I completed 26.2 miles of torture running and walking, on an ankle that has barely recovered from being broken and operated on, and from having a potentially life threatening pulmonary embolism.

I am ecstatic to have finished it, regardless of how long it took me.

Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me with lovely messages of encouragement, and to everyone who has sponsored me and helped to support Genetic Disorders UK.

If you would still like to sponsor me, my Just Giving page will remain open until the end of July.

The atmosphere at the London Marathon was absolutely amazing, and I have already applied via the ballot for next year.  
Much to his horror, I have also entered Daddy D!

I would love to be able to do it again and see what finish time I can achieve after being able to properly train for the event.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Missy x